Lighten up this takeout classic by ditching the wrapper and focusing on the star ingredient…cabbage! Cabbage is a nutrient powerhouse, and you can fix this bowl of goodness to your liking with the protein of your choice.
Hands-on Time: 20 min. | Total Time: 35 min. | Serves: 4-6 | Difficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. Simple Truth™ Refined Coconut Oil
- ½ cup shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Simple Truth™ Ground Mustard Seed
- 3 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 lb. ground Simple Truth™ Grass Fed Beef, or bison, pork, turkey, chicken, crumbled tempeh or tofu
- 4 cups shredded green, Savoy or Napa Cabbage
- 2 cups Simple Truth™ Broccoli Slaw
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 3 Tbsp. fresh ginger root, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Simple Truth™ Low-Sodium Tamari
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan. Add the shallots, cooking over medium heat until golden all over, stirring continually and removing shallots as they are browned, setting them aside in a small bowl.
- Mix the ground mustard and cold water together in a small bowl to make the mustard sauce and set aside.
- When the shallots are removed, leave the oil and add the protein of your choosing. Cook, breaking apart with a wire whisk as needed and cook completely. Add the shredded cabbage, broccoli slaw, carrots, ginger, garlic, tamari and pepper. Heat until vegetables are just cooked. Stir in the bean sprouts and stir until wilted. Divide the cabbage mixture into bowls and top with the fried shallots, chopped peanuts, green onions and drizzle with mustard sauce. Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 340, Calories from Fat 190, Total Fat 21g (32% DV), Saturated Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 530mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates 16g (5% DV), Dietary Fiber 6g (24% DV), Sugars 6g, Protein 20g, Vitamin A 140%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.